Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Interview: Shari Richardson

Note: Interview was not carried out by me. This interview is a part of a promotional event for Shari's paranormal series Highland Home. The fifth book, Nine Lives, in this series was released on August 21st, 2012.

Q: What place do you call home?  
A: I live and work in York, PA. Though I lived in North Carolina for twelve years, this part of PA has been home for me since I was three.
Q: What is your book about?
A: The Highland Home Series is an epic saga encompassing the lives of several families. It’s more than just the love stories of those people. It includes what becomes the battle between good and evil.
Q: Do you have plans for a new book? 
A: Definitely. With the release of Nine Lives, I still have one more book in the Highland Home Series and several other, non-related books in the works.
Q: What inspired you to write your book? 
A: The Highland Home Series started as a possible collaborative work with a friend. The friend didn’t have time to work on it and I couldn’t hold the story back, so I wrote the rough drafts of the first six books over the course of a few months. I’ve been working on improving those drafts ever since.
Q: Would you like to be contacted by readers to do book reviews?
A: Absolutely. Readers are encouraged to contact me any time at sharirichardson@astralplanepublishing.com
Q: How did you come up with the title and cover design? 
A: The covers of the Highland Home Series are inspired by the characters. I was very luck to have found some excellent stock photos of models who fit my images of the characters. From there, I’ve kept the covers simple so the stories can speak for themselves.
Q: Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? 
A: Oh absolutely. Many of my friends and family would easily recognize themselves and me in these characters.
Q: Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
A: I’ve been lucky enough to meet several of the authors I most enjoy, but I would still love to meet Stephen King someday.
Q: Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcovers?
A: As much as I love the feel of a book, I must admit the geek in me adores eBooks. I love the fact that I can whip out my phone or iPod and read any time.
Q: Have you ever read a book more than once?
A: A better question might be “which books have you only read once.” I usually reread books, sometimes several times.
Q: Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
A: Water for Elephants. It was an amusing way to spend two hours in the theatre and the book differed very little from the film, making reading the book after seeing the film redundant rather than revealing.
Q: What book are you currently reading? 
A: I have several books open on my ereader programs right now. I’m rereading The Stand right now.
Q: What book do you know that you will never read?
A: James Patterson, Big Bad Wolf. I love the Alex Cross books, but after reading about two chapters of that one, I put it down and never picked it up again. I’ve read books that came after it in the series and haven’t missed it yet.
Q: Do you have a book trailer?
A: I have one for each of the currently available books. They’re on my Youtube channel.
Q: Do you have any advice for other writers? 
A: Write. Don’t listen to the internal editor when it tells you that you can’t write and don’t let anything stop you from putting the words down.
 
Shari Richardson holds a master's degree in English Education and has spent much of her life teaching students the joy of reading and writing.
Her love of writing began when she was in elementary school and has carried through her entire adult life. Shari lives in Pennsylvania with her two Chihuahuas.
Want to know more about Shari and her books? Visit the links below to get more information and to get in contact with her.

Meet the author

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for participating in the tour for the release of Nine Lives. I hope your readers enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, too :) All the reviews I've seen so far have been positive and mainly come with 4 or 5 star ratings. You should be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've spent the week crying (happy tears) every time a good review comes in. I'm always so worried that readers won't love these characters as much as I do and then I'm so happy when they do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *giggles* Heh, I think these books sound awesome and I'm in love with the excerpt you let us share via our blogs. It's got this mysterious, dangerous and thrilling vibe to it. All these books really need now are some reviews to get the word out there. Thank you so, so, so much for your generosity and hope you get the success you deserve!

    P.S. I think you shouldn't worry as much as you do about people loving these characters. If you do them justice by bringing their world to life and trusting your gut instinct while writing their story, all's good and people will love them. Also, bear in mind that you can't please anyone. Please yourself and people will be happy :) Colleen Hoover just wrote this very inspirational post about pleasing the fans vs writing from your heart and soul, you can look it up on her blog :)

    ReplyDelete