Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #6



 

Top Ten Books That Make You Think (About The World, People, Life, etc.)



To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is my favorite book of all time. Absolute favorite! Number one. Best. If I were to pick one book to save from apocalypse, this would most definitely be it. Ugh. I just LOVE this book so butterflying much! If you haven’t read it, I command  advise you to pick this up immediately. It’s one of those books that stays with you forever and never leaves your heart or mind completely. It’s breathtaking how well Lee has described human nature and how gorgeous meanings can be found behind these complicated thoughts. I just love, love, love this book.

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher 

This book definitely got me thinking about the choices we make or don’t (want to) make and consequences thereafter. It’s all about choices in this novel and I literally thought about it afterwards for at least two days and couldn’t get my thoughts out of this tornado that was going on in my head.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry 

Yes, it’s a children’s book, but it’s full of philosophical and suprisingly simple, but extremely important thoughts on life and people. I love it! It’s a very short book and there are beautiful illustrations beside these smart ideas and thoughts. What an absolute joy to read!

Arc de Triomphe by Erich Maria Remarque 

I feel like as opposed to previous eras where one could  easily become sufficient in a chosen vocation, nowadays you’re nothing without a paper, stating you’ve finished Uni and gotten not only BA (more known as unfinished Uni degree) but MA as well, in your hand. In this book the male protagonist doesn’t own a passport so even though he is the best surgeon and saves lives on a daily basis, he cannot contribute to the society in the light of day since he is an immigrant. He is nothing without a piece of paper and I feel like our society is drifting towards that direction, too. No paper proving to have a degree from Uni (usually) equals no future.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I absolutely adore this book and it’s one of my favorite of all time. Have read it like at least 5 times and every time I do, I find something new to think about. Pride is one of people’s worst enemies, I know it’s mine. I don’t like to ask for help or feel like I’m failing. Who does? I don’t think there are that many people who do. Moreover, prejudice is a nasty beast, too, if you ask me. Judging a book by its cover or by other people’s opinions is quite ofthen the case in life.

Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover 

Man, how I love this book! Contemporary YA fiction is exciting and easy to follow, but a lot of the times it falls short on a deepful meaning behind the words. PoR has a very special place in my heart. I’m so unbelievably stubborn and it's easy to relate to Lake since she is stubborn, too. She puts Will through tests and the poor guy is doing his best to keep up with everything and prove to her that she is THE one for him and vice versa. When the final 1/3 of the book started, I was taken aback by a huge shock and Oh. My. Freaking. God. It was intense and got me thinking about life in general for days after I finished reading it.

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult 

I am not actually a fan of this book in general, there were just too many things that bothered me, but it got me thinking about family problems and how we don’t take time to listen to each other, are so hung up on work, school and solving big problems that we don’t take notice of the small ones right in front of us that are in desperate need of our attention. In addition, the ending was a huge shock and I just wanted to stab this book in the heart with my tears.

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger 

I always think of this book when someone talks about time travel. What if it really is possible? What if by choosing to do one thing you could change many lives? What if that changes the balance of the whole world? It’s crazy to think about and this book leaves you breathless with the writing style, plotline, ideas and everything else possible.

Chasing Nikki by Lacey Weatherford 

It’s such a great contemporary YA book and in addition to falling in love with the characters, after reading the book you feel like you’ve been to a class of life. Definitely got me thinking about our existence, love, life etc.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 

It’s a great example of how the society is obsessed with reality TV, looks, wealth, fame etc. We are so hung up on material values that quite often we don’t even realize what actual wealth is: loving someone, being loved, home, support, kindness, selflessness, bravery. I love the hidden meanings behind the words and different scenes. I think one can define this piece of work as a satire of the modern society. In addition to a gripping story with kick-ass characters it gives you a lot to think about.

What did you think? Did any of these books made it to your top ten list? Would you add any books to mine? What would they be? Leave me a comment and a link to your TTT and I'll stop by and check out yours :)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted @ The Broke and the Bookish 

9 comments:

  1. Its crazy how many of us have listed Hunger Games. Made us think.

    Check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of us have picked The Hunger Games this week. Great choices!

    Check out my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, THG is very influential and I think whoever reads it, can definitely gain something by doing so, since it really makes you rethink your values and understand what's really important. Thank you for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaand the first list with Pride and Prejudice on it...though it took me almost 20 posts to get one!

    Reading the Time Traveler's Wife left me with mixed feelings--I wanted to like the book (everyone else did!), but it just didn't resonate with me very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? O.O It's such a great book I wonder why people haven't mentioned that already :D:O

    Well, you can't like all books right? I mean, I've seen books like Fifty Shades of Grey and other which people have loved, like massivly loved, but I just thought they were okay or meh..

    Thank you for stopping by :) Hope you have a wonderful day! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Little Prince!!!! I completely forgot to add that to my list, and it should totally be there. It is one of my favorite books. Children's books are wonderful - just because they are written for children to enjoy them, that doesn't mean adults won't love them, too.

    Great list. P&P is my all time favorite book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're actually one of the few people who've said that they love the Little Prince. Such a great book and I think it's somethimes underrated -.- It should be out there more often, mentioned and talked about. Love this book and thank you for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to reread To Kill a Mockingbird.. read it so long ago in grade 9 that I don't remember much of it!! :)

    Sorry it took me a bit to get to your TTT! Been a busy week! :P

    Michele | Top 10 | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. No problem, glad you made it :) And you should re-read TKaMB. It's so amazingly good :)

    ReplyDelete